[Milton-L] Syntax of Sonnet 23

Schwartz, Louis lschwart at richmond.edu
Wed Apr 13 16:05:31 EDT 2016

Michael:  Yes that “double take” at “restraint” is just what’s so artful about it.

You may be right that he intended 10 syllables, and he certainly wrote the line in a way that lends itself to one elision or the other.  And Richard is right that if the elision is on “th’Old,” there’s some pressure to stress “in” against normal pronunciation (there’s also pressure to demote the stress on “th’Old”).  As a matter of expressive possibility, however, the 11 syllable version of the line has some power (a matter of performance choice in recitation).  My impulse is to notice the opportunity for metrical restraint written into the line and then choose not to accept the invitation.  The very fact that either elision makes for one or another kind of awkwardness, and that the other choice is irregularity, probably is again part of what turned Johnson off.  But I don’t see the need to try and shoehorn every line into strictness.  Sometimes irregularity is the more meaningful move.  And the poem is hardly a tidily conventional one in any number of other ways, anyway.  Both restrained and excessive.

I like a version of the line like the one John has just posted, but without even trying to push the line into feet:  [/xx/xxx//x/]

Louis

Louis Schwartz
Professor of English
Chair, English Department