[Milton-L] Syntax of Sonnet 23

Michael Gillum mgillum at unca.edu
Wed Apr 13 15:04:07 EDT 2016

Thanks, Louis.

You are correct that "purif-" could be elided. I hadn't thought of that.
Milton does indulge in the so-called double trochee--or here, it would be a
triple one. But I doubt he intended 11 syllabic places; he's pretty strict
about that. The typography of Poems 1673 is less careful about showing
elisions-- for example, in #23 there is a monosyllabic "Heaven" spelled
with two E's, whereas in PL this hardly occurs.

I like your point about the delayed predicate breaking over the 8-9
juncture. It is more disruptive than the usual slightly off-center Miltonic
volta. But otherwise the form of #23 is relatively tidy, and at "restraint"
we *think* we have a normally-placed boundary.