[Milton-L] Syntax of Sonnet 23

Schwartz, Louis lschwart at richmond.edu
Wed Apr 13 14:23:27 EDT 2016

Michael,

That’s very good!  I’d add two things:

1)      I think the elided syllable could be the second one in “purification” instead, which might not have pleased Johnson, but allows for a somewhat less complex metrical reading of the line [/x/xx//x/]—although I actually prefer the rhythm of the line without elision.  And maybe Milton intended the irregularity in number?

2)      You are right that Johnson probably did not like the long syntactic tangle, and I imagine he also did not like the way it delays the predicate until after the end of the octave violating a structural expectation.  The end-stopped line break at “restraint” is brilliant to my ears, however, because of the way it both fulfills the restraint of the form on the level of the rhyme and also marks the moment at which Milton’s syntax pushes past it (ending one part of the sentence only to be followed immediately by the bigger syntactic ending introduced in the next line—and right on that first syllable).  And I like the way the twists and stretching in the syntax lends energy to the ricocheting in time, from the remembered moment of the dream, back to the biblical past, and then headlong forward into a hoped for Christian afterlife, before then returning to the night and the bedroom.  When he finally gets back to the dream at “came,” the imagined spouse is imbued with all of that history, theological and typological resonance, and longing.

Louis

Louis Schwartz
Professor of English
Chair, English Department