[Milton-L] Adam et Eve

Michael Gillum mgillum at unca.edu
Wed Sep 23 09:34:58 EDT 2015

It's a commonplace that Klimt often (as in "The Kiss") coded his
geometrical decorations for gender, with ellipses, doughnuts, and spirals
being feminine, squares and rectangles masculine. In "The Tree of Life,"
the cloak that enfolds Adam is mostly feminine, with some masculine
elements. But the anti-Eve has neither, only triangles.

Another possible connection with PL is Eve's feelings of sexual jealousy
after her fall.