[Milton-L] Adam et Eve

Brendan Prawdzik brendanprawdzik at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 20:21:17 EDT 2015

Let us not forget this fascinating work by Klimt, *The Tree of LIfe *(1908),
from the "Stoclet Frieze":

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-_UNWkEiB34M/VUZRFwNjQdI/AAAAAAAAAEA/RC-vqwXpGG0/s1600/albero-della-vita-di-klimt.jpg

The case could be made that this painting is inspired by Milton's epic
(particularly Book 4) and that it suggests a sophisticated reading of what
might crudely be referred to as the double-consciousness of Eve.

The black bird in the Tree appears to be a cormorant, and we all know who
*that* is.

It is as though the moment that Satan arrives and imposes gender
differentiation upon the couple (cf. Nyquist's "The Genesis of Gendered
Subjectivity in *PL"*), Eve's own perspective on her wedded bliss splits,
as she is now both *with* Adam and *below* him, both there and not.

Upon the jealously leering Eve to the left appears impressed something like
the emotion by which Satan-as-cormorant views the wedded bliss of those
"imparadis't in each other's arms."

Oh Hell, what do mine eyes in grief behold!

Brendan

On Tue, Sep 22, 2015 at 4:21 PM, James Rovira <jamesrovira at gmail.com> wrote:

> Weirdly, her left hand appears unfinished.
>
> Jim R
>
> On Tue, Sep 22, 2015 at 4:12 PM, Richard A. Strier <rastrier at uchicago.edu>
> wrote:
>
>> Well, she is gorgeous.  One sympathizes with Adam.  Might well be worth
>> losing Eden for.
>>
>> RS

Dr. Brendan Prawdzik

Penn State University

BA Rutgers University, 2001
PhD The University of California, Berkeley, 2009