[Milton-L] response to Richard Strier, et al, on Greenblatt

Richard A. Strier rastrier at uchicago.edu
Wed Sep 16 17:21:47 EDT 2015

Thanks for the comment and history, but I am skeptical about one claim.  I do not believe that your students in the '80's actually could read PL on their own, with no help except historical and critical contextualization.  Maybe they were better at faking it, but the poem is not easy, on first acquaintance, for ANYONE to read.  So again -- though I may indeed be mistaken -- think that the contrast is being overdrawn.

RS