[Milton-L] Greenblatt on Teaching Shakespeare

David Urban dvu2 at calvin.edu
Wed Sep 16 10:25:06 EDT 2015

Yes, I also second (third?) Richard's point.  Amazingly, I just yesterday in a core literature course I taught that very passage from *King Lear* act III  that Greenblatt quotes, and I had another nice session in a different core literature course yesterday with students who were honest/humble enough to admit they were lacking in ability to do close textual analysis, but wanted to do it better, and, I believe, learned well as we did it together in class.  I agree that most students aren't doing these things as a matter of course, but some (many? I sure hope so . . .) want to, and I think/hope if we can model enthusiasm, humility,  patience, and, at the same time, high standards, there is hope for this enterprise.

Carter--yes, definitely having Stella around to discuss it helped your daughter understand *Sense & Sensibility*[😊]!

I sure wish I could have been in on those discussions myself, and I'm sure everyone else here agrees.   Just this past week I was making profitable use of Stella's 1973 PMLA piece on PL, ''Eve and the Doctrine of Responsibility in *Paradise Lost*,'' a bittersweet experience for me.  So glad you are contributing to Milton-L, Carter, as your email reads, "on behalf of Stella Revard."

Best,

David