[Milton-L] Not Willingly Let it Die

Diana dianabenet at aol.com
Mon Sep 14 10:10:02 EDT 2015

I wd like to recommend "Teaching Shakespeare," a v short article by Stephen Greenblatt (NY Times Sunday Magazine, 9/13/15) that with some relevance to Milton studies.
Greenblatt writes about the challenges of teaching a student population without the "verbal acuity" with which earlier students approached early-modern authors.   The essay is thought-provoking and could trigger some ideas and discussion on the list.
Incidentally, apropos of  the interest in "They Who Fell" and "Chaos Umpire  Sits": I hope people will remember Steven Brust's "To Reign in Hell"  (1984).  This novel was a consistent post-PL favorite of students in my Milton classes.
Regards to all,  Diana Benet