[Milton-L] forwarded query re. Milton in Max Weber

Martin Kuester kuesterm at staff.uni-marburg.de
Fri Sep 11 03:13:02 EDT 2015

Dear All,

Just had a short look at the Eibach essay mentioned in the footnote. The
Milton quote does not seem to be there either. I'll try and check Alfred
Stern's German Milton biography from 1877 or 1879 that Weber mentions,
if I can dig it out of our library.

Best,
Martin Kuester

Am 11.09.2015 um 08:05 schrieb John Hale:

> ​The remark as quoted seems too dismissive for Milton in
> /De Doctrina,/ who insists more on his own interpretation of
> Predestination in I. 4 than on rubbishing the whole idea.
>
> There seem to be problems also with the number of stages
> of  translation and transmission which the quip has gone through.
>
> Watching with interest, though.
>
> John Hale

Prof. Dr. Martin Kuester
GD, Marburger Zentrum für Kanada-Studien
Institut für Anglistik und Amerikanistik
Philipps-Universität Marburg
D-35032 Marburg
Tel.: 49 (0) 6421 2824762
Sprechstunde/office hours