[Milton-L] One should abstain from Milton quotes if . . .

Kemmer Anderson kanderso at mccallie.org
Sun Nov 29 14:38:46 EST 2015

Carter, I have been reading the Dylan Thomas poem, "The Conversation of
Prayer" a number of times. What a beautiful poem filled with repetition and
slant rhyme. The "intimate social interaction' that you mention seems about
the "sound about to be said in the two prayers" rather than the words. I
guess it has to be about "sound' as mystery but also the need to slant
rhyme with "ground."  I flipped over to "Ceremony after a Fire Raid." Dylan
Thomas is so powerful: "Love is the last light spoken." The echo points
to the beginning of Book 3 Paradise Lost, the first light: "Hail Holy
Light, offspring of Heav'n first born,". Then in Part II, Thomas moves the
poem to "the Garden of Eden" with powerful images of Adam and Eve.  May we
all "hammer through daisies" with metaphor, rhythm, and reason. Kemmer