[Milton-L] Regaining Paradise Regained

James Rovira jamesrovira at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 11:09:05 EST 2015

The most striking debt I see to Milton's PR in Blake is the transformation
of Satan to a passive-aggressive character in Blake's later myths. He seems
to be using Satan's relative "softness" in PR compared to his heroic
stature in PL to comment on specific people and social elements. He also
has to introduce the "negation" as another configuration of evil (or
perhaps the only configuration of evil) in order to fill a void left by the
passive aggressive Satan, so I think he's filling a conceptual void too.

Jim R