[Milton-L] Regaining Paradise Regained

Watt, James jwatt at butler.edu
Thu Nov 26 14:27:19 EST 2015

Thanks for this piece, professor Rivarossa.

As to Blake's care in reading J.M. I couldn't agree more and it's perfectly clear, to those who read Blake carefully, the origin of his quick response to Henry Crabb Robinson on their meeting in December of 1825. Attempting to find some solid ground on which to base their discussion, Robinson said to him (I'm quoting now from memory) something like, "But Mr. Blake, you do believe that Jesus is God, don't you?" Blake's answer rings for all time. "Yes. And so am I. And so are you."

Time bound scholars and rationalists (never mind orthodox thinkers!) are shocked by this 'blasphemy' as they understand it. Milton, no doubt, would have smiled. As he would to the words in Blake's "Memorable Fancy" in MHH (Plate 21): "I have always found that Angels have the vanity to speak of themselves as the only wise; this they do with a confident insolence sprouting from systematic reasoning."

 Milton, like Blake, was a reasonable man. But systematic reasoning builds no lasting monuments.

Jim Watt