[Milton-L] Milton and the chalice

Ross Leasure trleasure at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 07:28:39 EST 2015

"Chalice," as if comes from Greek (κύλιξ) through Latin (calix), means
simply "cup."  As such, there were most certainly wooden cups; the material
would have been one of the very first to have been used for such a purpose
in lieu of natural objects like leaves, shells or horns.  At least, that's
my understanding. --Ross

On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 10:09 AM, JCarl Bellinger <dionhalic at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Thank you, Sara van den Berg!
> -Carl
> ps What a lovely conception: "wooden chalices and golden priests." But
> I wonder if chalices ever were made of wood.
>
> On Saturday, November 14, 2015, Sara van den Berg <vandens at slu.edu> wrote:
>
>> Miltpon refers to "the Communion Chalice" in *Eikonoklastes*.3.558.3
>> (Stern and Kollmeier, *Prose Concordance*).
>> He also attacks the change from "wooden chalices and golden priests" in
>> "former times" to '"golden Chalices and wooden Priests" (*Of Reformation
>> *1.557.15-16).  Elsewhere he declares, "For golden chalices and wooden
>> Priests, thank your selves" (*Animadversions * 1.717.23).
>>
>> There are no examples of "grail" in Milton's prose, but the Concordance
>> lists several references to "cup." I don't know if any o them would be
>> useful to you.
>>
>> Sara van den Berg
>>
>> On Sat, Nov 14, 2015 at 6:54 PM, JCarl Bellinger <dionhalic at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Does Milton anywhere mention chalice, cup, grail?
>>> -Carl

*T. Ross Leasure, Ph.D.*
*Associate Professor*
Dept. of English