[Milton-L] Enlightenment "insanity"?

Richard A. Strier rastrier at uchicago.edu
Sun Nov 15 15:51:23 EST 2015

I'm afraid that I don't view Enlightenment values as "insanity," and I think that labeling them such is mere name-calling and not argumentation.  I'll take Kant any time.  Chivalric culture has its attractions, of course, but I would much prefer "perpetual peace."  So would, in our period, Erasmus and some of his followers.  I would place Erasmus's writings on war way above those of Tasso or, I'm afraid, of Milton's.

Evidence for the social attainments of slaves in Venice?  This is needed.  Again, mere claims won't do.

RS