[Milton-L] Paris

Salwa Khoddam skhoddam at cox.net
Sun Nov 15 14:07:12 EST 2015

Very interesting ideas, Dario. But don't you think racism was also embedded
in the Renaissance as reflected in the works of Shakespeare, Tasso and
Milton--considering Tasso's remarks about the Egyptians and Africans in Il
Mondo Creato and Milton's association of Satan with Middle Eastern culture,
and  Shakespeare's reference to Turks, etc.? So it wasn't just respect
towards the Muslims that the 16th and 17th-century Europeans felt. Perhaps
in heroic military epics like Gerusalemme Liberata and others ( I haven't
read GL yet), racism is controlled by the heroic code, on both sides of the
battles,  whicht asks of its heroes to be virtuous and magnanimous regarding
their enemies.
Salwa