[Milton-L] Milton and the chalice

Sara van den Berg vandens at slu.edu
Sat Nov 14 20:17:23 EST 2015

Miltpon refers to "the Communion Chalice" in *Eikonoklastes*.3.558.3 (Stern
and Kollmeier, *Prose Concordance*).
He also attacks the change from "wooden chalices and golden priests" in
"former times" to '"golden Chalices and wooden Priests" (*Of
Reformation *1.557.15-16).
Elsewhere he declares, "For golden chalices and wooden Priests, thank your
selves" (*Animadversions * 1.717.23).

There are no examples of "grail" in Milton's prose, but the Concordance
lists several references to "cup." I don't know if any o them would be
useful to you.

Sara van den Berg