[Milton-L] A Penny for the Guy

Carol Barton, Ph.D., CPCM cbartonphd1 at verizon.net
Thu Nov 5 21:06:16 EST 2015

That made me smile, Carter. A very "Stella" response, God rest her dear soul. (I loved the bookmarks that Charley and Kris sent me, and wish I could've attended the "last tango.") There was more to my research--the most touching the accounts of the poor man's execution--and I remember being pretty convinced (having also read extensively in good King James in preparation for my unpublished book on his headless son's Eikon Basilike) that Fawkes was framed, and that indirectly, His "Majesty" (hardly majestic, at that point) had something to do with it. But that may be my bias: the more I read of James and his works, the less I liked him. Charles, on the other hand, became a human being with foibles magnified by power, if that makes any sense. I lost my relish for finishing a work dedicated to JTS (some 700 pages, in need of editing) when we lost him, and haven't had the heart to pick it up since. I know you can understand that.

I have no idea whether my articles made it into the Encyclopedia. Not even a courtesy announcement that it had been published!

Read the stuff on Fawkes' execution, if I gave the citation for that (I was word-limited, so had to cut out a lot that I would otherwise have included). It's touching, to say the least. Naturally, I can't say with any certainty that he was scapegoated--who can, without hard and fast evidence?--but it made sense, from everything I read.

I'm honored that you read the piece, Carter!

All best,

Carol