[Milton-L] A Penny for the Guy

Arlene Stiebel amstiebel at aol.com
Thu Nov 5 13:14:08 EST 2015

Sir Everard Digby, one of the Catholic conspirators, was subsequently caught and tried for treason.  Sentenced to death, he was hanged by the neck until almost dead, cut down and made ready to be drawn and quartered.  When his heart was cut out of his chest, the executioner held it up to the crowd and said "here is the heart of a traitor," to which, it is reputed that Sir Everard replied, "villain, thou liest."  Of such stuff are legends made.

-- Arlene