[Milton-L] "Particular Falls"

James Rovira jamesrovira at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 18:34:47 EST 2015

I think some of the responses about eternal hell (in Milton or in
Christianity) are missing some of Milton's details. Milton seems to me to
repeatedly emphasize the existential component of hell over the physical,
so that hell isn't mostly importantly a place where God "puts" damned
souls, but an existential state made eternal upon death:

Me miserable! which way shall I flyInfinite wrauth and infinite despair?Which
way I fly is Hell; myself am Hell;*        75*And, in the lowest deep, a
lower deepStill threatening to devour me opens wide,To which the Hell I
suffer seems a Heaven.