[Milton-L] "Particular Falls"

Richard A. Strier rastrier at uchicago.edu
Wed Jan 21 00:51:59 EST 2015

Of course the last three words are meant to be a shock.  No preparation for this shift.  But I think the point is indeed pure Empson.  The divine being who wills such a situation is a horrible moral being.  One could, of course, fear this being, but that would be what it wants.  The poet has the right perspective, the truly moral one.  A divine being who cannot conceive of loving its enemies is indeed pathetic in its limitations.  Milton's God.

RS