[Milton-L] 1972 BBC Omnibus production of Paradise Restored starring John Neville

John Geraghty johnegeraghty at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 5 05:17:07 EST 2015

Hello John,
I did not find a copy of this performance of the play but found a few references that might be helpful.
A thread I found at:   https://extra.shu.ac.uk/emls/iemls/shaksper/logs/97log.txt   seems to indicate a script of the play is available as part of a larger text. I copied the entire post and pasted it below.  You may want to email the poster to see if they were able to locate any copies of the actual performance.
The book he refers to is available from Amazon, ebay, and used booksellers:
Classic Theatre: The Humanities in Drama  by Sylvan Barnet (Author), William Burto (Editor), Morton Berman (Editor) Publisher: Little Brown and Company; First Edition (stated) edition (September 1975)Language: EnglishISBN-10: 0316082015ISBN-13: 978-0316082013
I have ordered a copy (only $3.50 on ebay) and will let you know if it contains the script.
This might have some clues to help you track down a copy, perhaps by contacting some of the college libraries mentioned in the report:"Classic Theatre: The Humanities in Drama; A Television Course for Credit. Final Research Report.Purdy, Leslie; Icenogle, Darrell"
"A study was conducted to evaluate the effectiveness of the "Classic Theatre" course, a series of televised plays and play previews, offered for credit by 275 two- and four-year colleges throughout the country."
See the abstract in ERIC at: http://eric.ed.gov/?id=ED133028Or read the entire study at: http://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED133028.pdf
-Hope this helps  -John

From:           Franklin J. Hildy <hildy  @  uga . cc.uga.edu>Date:           Tuesday, 11 Feb 1997 10:47:33 -0500Subject:        Edward II Video
I have only recently joined the list and just wanted to comment about theinquiries concerning video productions of EDWARD THE SECOND and THE DUCHESS OFMALFI.  Both were part of the "Classic Theatre: the Humanities in Drama"series, produced by Joan Sullivan for WGBH, Boston in 1974 -75 and broadcastover a 13 week period by PBS in 1976.  The series included the plays:
THE TRAGEDY OF MACBETHEDWARD THE SECOND by MarloweTHE DUCHESS OF MALFI, by WebsterPARADISE RESTORED adapted from MiltonSHE STOOPS TO CONQUER by GoldsmithCANDIDE, adapted from VoltaireTHE RIVALS by SheridanTHE WILD DUCK by IbsenHEDDA GABLER by IbsenTRELAWNEY OF THE WELLS by PineroTHREE SISTERS by CheckhovTHE PLAYBOY OF THE WESTERN WORLd by SyngeMRS WARREN'S PROFESSION by Shaw.
The scripts were published in CLASSIC THEATRE: THE HUMANITIES IN DRAMA. SylvanBarnet, Morton Berman and William Burto ed.  Boston: Educational Associates,1975.  Educational Associates was a division of Little, Brown and Co.  There isa single photo of each production for each play but they are not very useful.
I would be very interested in any information anyone might have about where Icould get video or 16 mm copies of these plays.  I hope this will be of someuse.
Dr.  Franklin J.  HildyDirector, Southeastern Region Shakespeare Globe Centre