[Milton-L] public speaking

john rumrich rumrich at austin.utexas.edu
Thu Feb 12 13:01:39 EST 2015

Perhaps Italian academies are disqualified from the category of "public"
inasmuch as Milton himself describes them as "private." Still he says he
presented his work to an audiences in Florence.  Does his account qualify
as evidence of a "post-Cambridge speech of any kind" or of "any deliverance
made in public"?

from Reason of Church Government:

But much latelier in the private academies of Italy, whither I was favored
to resort,

perceiving that some trifles which I had in memory, composed at under
twenty or

thereabout (for the manner is that everyone must give some proof of his wit
and reading

there), met with acceptance above what was looked for, and other things,
which I had

shifted in scarcity of books and conveniences to patch up amongst them, were

received with written encomiums, which the Italian is not forward to bestow
on

men of this side the Alps