[Milton-L] Longfellow on Milton

jsavoie at siue.edu jsavoie at siue.edu
Tue Feb 10 08:43:40 EST 2015

Different John here, but Spenser and his alexandrine seems to be the
association.

As a child swimming in oceans and Lake Michigan, with no thought of
epic poets, we cultivated the legend of the special powers of the
ninth wave, though some learned it as the seventh wave.  Evidently it
is an old story.

As for Longfellow's poem, I'm curious if he had specific poems and
poets in mind for waves 1-8.  If so, Homer to begin, Spencer near the
end.

John Savoie