[Milton-L] Longfellow on Milton

Jameela Lares jameela.lares at usm.edu
Tue Feb 10 08:10:59 EST 2015

Why do you say that, John?  I have never thought of Spenser in terms of movement such as a wave suggests--build up, spread, aftermath--but rather in terms of static if beautiful tableau.  It seems to me that Spenser spends half a stanza moving to the next scene and then 7-9 stanzas describing it.

Or are you saying that your own mind feels more engulfed while reading Spenser than while reading Milton?

Or are you saying that Spenser's cadences are more majestic and undulating?

Or--?

By the way, I have seen this poem before, but I never noticed the "sheeted emerald" before.  Nice! Thanks, Bob Blair.

Jameela Lares
Professor of English
The University of Southern Mississippi
118 College Drive, #5037