[Milton-L] The Apple . . . and the Worm

Michael Gillum mgillum at unca.edu
Mon Feb 2 10:08:09 EST 2015

Robert Burton says that painters represent the serpent as having "the face
of a virgin," that is, a young girl, Satan having assumed the appearance of
innocence in order to mislead Eve. Thus at least one early modern
interpreter read the traditional iconography as not intending the misogyny
that modern viewers impute to it. One would need to look at particular
paintings and decide whether the serpent's face is actually Eve's face
(usually it is not) and whether its expression is seductive or innocent or
neither.

Sorry I do not have the Burton reference at hand.