[Milton-L] CJM's Future? / Re: 2015 Conference on John Milton

Gardner Campbell gardner.campbell at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 19:07:40 EDT 2015

After six years away (gulp--I wish I could claim silence and cunning, but
it was just life), I'm back to Murfreesboro and presenting at the
conference this year.

We share a birthday. My first conference presentation was in 1991, at what
was then called the Southeastern Conference on John Milton. I presented at
every subsequent gathering through 2009. I am very glad to come back home.
I owe this conference and its extraordinary guiding lights a debt I cannot
name or repay. In particular, Kris and Charley have been the mentors every
junior scholar needs, and few find. That they have played that role for so
many junior scholars is just astonishing. They gave me the gift they give
all of us: they make us feel uniquely welcome, and uniquely valuable. I
aspire to their generosity of spirit, their largeness of soul.

I agree that there should be a conversation about how we can carry on. I
will be there, and lingering with anyone who wants to entertain such a
conversation.

I also want to hoist Kris, Charley, and Kevin on our shoulders and parade
through the streets of Murfreesboro, but I'm not sure that is wise,
especially as I now find myself, er, senior. Better, I think, the not
unwisdom of our special banquet wines in the splendid Tennessee autumn we
will share, yet once more.

Gardner