[Milton-L] Adam and Eve Accused

Michael Gillum mgillum at unca.edu
Thu Oct 30 17:07:02 EDT 2014

The serpent seems to be anticipating his judgement and is about to go on
his belly. Unlike Milton, the visual artists have been oddly unwilling to
imagine the prelapsarian serpent as anything other than a regular snake,
with or without a woman's face. Blake is an exception, but he is following
Milton. Michelangelo's gross, fleshy temptress is more woman than serpent.