[Milton-L] "Yet with a pleasing sorcery could charm Pain"

Enna Martina eoor at planet.nl
Wed Oct 22 11:19:20 EDT 2014

Dario,

Long ago I read "A Tartan Steppe"  an some short stories by Dino Buzzati .It
all seemed to me like an accusation to what is positive in life  (culture,
good behavior, etc.) as "it all seems to no final purpose except death""as
you already said.
Could both types of melancholy in a way be compared to the Renaissance
conception of melancholy  which dates back to Galen and Aristotle; in the
Galen tradition melancholy was considered inimical to life; Aristotelian
physiology associated melancholy with heightened imaginative and
intellectual powers?  Just an idea.
Best regards,
Enna Martina