[Milton-L] "Yet with a pleasing sorcery could charm Pain"

Dario Rivarossa dario.rivarossa at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 07:00:58 EDT 2014

>I wonder about how you are translating the title.  _Segreto_ is in the singular, no? And I think most English titles would rearrange the words as _The Secret of the Old Wood_

Dear Jamela, you're right, but I hate 'flat' translations, so I tried
to update the wording a bit.

>And what you describe as different about Buzzati's melancholy,  . . . actually sounds to me rather like the elegiac treatment of Tolkien's Lothlorien and the exodus of the elves to the West.

This is in fact a major analogy between the two. But in Tolkien there
is somehow Providence at work, a great history developing, etc., while
in Buzzati there isn't any. The difference is clear in the books
themselves, not in my poor summary. But wait, an English version of
Buzzati's book "A Tartar Steppe" is available: though it is not a
fantasy novel, it will prove useful in order to getting familiar with
his feelings and atmospheres.

With many thanks

il Tassista / the Tasso Driver
http://tassonomia.blogspot.it