[Milton-L] MC -5-h

Jameela Lares jameela.lares at usm.edu
Wed Oct 22 06:25:39 EDT 2014

Dario,

This book by Buzzati looks quite interesting, so much so that I may haver to get a copy, though I wonder about how you are translating the title.  _Segreto_ is in the singular, no? And I think most English titles would rearrange the words as _The Secret of the Old Wood_, rather like the first Nancy Drew title, _The Secret of the Old Clock_.

And what you describe as different about Buzzati's melancholy, "the partially sweet sadness of autumn sunsets, the feeling of vanishing ideals and joys," actually sounds to me rather like the elegiac treatment of Tolkien's Lothlorien and the exodus of the elves to the West.

Jameela Lares
Professor of English
The University of Southern Mississippi
118 College Drive, #5037