[Milton-L] Fwd: The Common Good??

Matthew Jordan matthewjorda at gmail.com
Sun Oct 5 12:58:30 EDT 2014


Jameela, the interesting notion you float sounds very much like what is
perhaps the central idea of Frank Kermode's The Classic. I take it he
counts (as a Miltonist, that is).

Best

Matt

On 4 October 2014 21:06, Jameela Lares <jameela.lares at usm.edu> wrote:

> That comment is certainly in the ballpark, Richard.  Thanks.
>
> Jameela Lares
> Professor of English
> The University of Southern Mississippi
> 118 College Drive, #5037
> Hattiesburg, MS  39406-0001
> 601 266-4319 ofc
> 601 266-5757 fax
> ________________________________________
> From: milton-l-bounces at lists.richmond.edu [
> milton-l-bounces at lists.richmond.edu] on behalf of Richard A. Strier [
> rastrier at uchicago.edu]
> Sent: Saturday, October 04, 2014 10:52 AM
> To: John Milton Discussion List
> Subject: Re: [Milton-L] Fwd:  The Common Good??
>
> Pound said:  Poetry is news that stays news.
>
> And by that, of course, he meant great poetry.
>
>
> ________________________________________
> From: milton-l-bounces at lists.richmond.edu [
> milton-l-bounces at lists.richmond.edu] on behalf of Jameela Lares [
> jameela.lares at usm.edu]
> Sent: Saturday, October 04, 2014 10:26 AM
> To: John Milton Discussion List
> Subject: Re: [Milton-L] Fwd:  The Common Good??
>
> Carter,
>
> You make me wonder if the definition of a classic work of literature
> should include the notion that it is always somehow current, but I imagine
> that this has been said, and even said by Miltonists.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jameela Lares
> Professor of English
> The University of Southern Mississippi
> 118 College Drive, #5037
> Hattiesburg, MS  39406-0001
> 601 266-4319 ofc
> 601 266-5757 fax
> ________________________________________
>
> _______________________________________________
> Milton-L mailing list
> Milton-L at lists.richmond.edu
> Manage your list membership and access list archives at
> http://lists.richmond.edu/mailman/listinfo/milton-l
>
> Milton-L web site: http://johnmilton.org/
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.richmond.edu/pipermail/milton-l/attachments/20141005/03e0906f/attachment.html>


More information about the Milton-L mailing list