[Milton-L] Adam ate of . . . the wrong Tree!

Carol Barton, Ph.D., CPCM cbartonphd1 at verizon.net
Mon Nov 17 16:08:50 EST 2014

I doubt that Adam and Eve would have *needed* progeny, had they refrained from eating the Fruit--at least not progeny as we conceive of them (pun intended). My question is not what immortality *means* per se--I think we all know the traditional denotation--but what it means in this context, that is what the properties of such immortality would be. Would A&E have been agelessly immortal (like the figures on Keats' Grecian urn), or eternally elderly, like the Sibyl, had they eaten of the Tree of Life after tasting the Fruit of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil?

Theoretically, there was no need for a Tree of Life in Eden, except symbolically; had A&E obeyed God's sole commandment, they would (in the Miltonic scheme of things) ultimately have attained immortality as the angels knew it.

Best to all,

Carol Barton