[Milton-L] Adam ate of . . . the wrong Tree!

Michael Gillum mgillum at unca.edu
Mon Nov 17 15:11:33 EST 2014

Angelica--by "it" I meant the Biblical Tree of Life, as understood by
Milton. If not an immortality potion, then what is it?

And regarding your very apt quotation from book 11, can't the false fruit
be understood as a synecdoche for the fall or act of disobedience? I've
always understood the physical and moral deterioration of Adam and Eve to
result, not from poisonous properties of the fruit, but from the
disordering of their faculties by the act of disobedience.