[Milton-L] Milton and the intellectus agens

James Rovira jamesrovira at gmail.com
Sun Nov 16 13:54:07 EST 2014

"Light" as a metaphor for the Divine or for Divine illumination is found in
Plato, the Hebrew Scriptures, the Christian scriptures, and a number of
other sources prior to the Koran. It's a very common and widely
disseminated trope. Milton's language, as Joel pointed out, seems to most
closely resemble the NT, but he certainly isn't limited to being influenced
by that source.

Jim R

Dr. James Rovira
Associate Professor of English
Tiffin University
http://www.jamesrovira.com
<http://t.signauxdix.com/e1t/c/5/f18dQhb0S7lC8dDMPbW2n0x6l2B9nMJW7t5XX48qCrCPW8qyPx43H6XTxW72TN_H5fT_cx101?t=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.jamesrovira.com%2F&si=4763272727232512&pi=aa267fd0-1e4b-4be7-9af0-0063abcb6d57>
Continuum 2010
<http://t.signauxdix.com/e1t/c/5/f18dQhb0S7lC8dDMPbW2n0x6l2B9nMJW7t5XX48qCrCPW8qyPx43H6XTxW72TN_H5fT_cx101?t=http%3A%2F%2Fjamesrovira.com%2Fblake-and-kierkegaard-creation-and-anxiety%2F&si=4763272727232512&pi=aa267fd0-1e4b-4be7-9af0-0063abcb6d57>
Text, Identity, Subjectivity
<http://t.signauxdix.com/e1t/c/5/f18dQhb0S7lC8dDMPbW2n0x6l2B9nMJW7t5XX48qCrCPW8qyPx43H6XTxW72TN_H5fT_cx101?t=http%3A%2F%2Fscalar.usc.edu%2Fworks%2Ftext-identity-subjectivity%2Findex&si=4763272727232512&pi=aa267fd0-1e4b-4be7-9af0-0063abcb6d57>