[Milton-L] Milton and the intellectus agens

Horace Jeffery Hodges horacejeffery at gmail.com
Sun Nov 16 01:23:29 EST 2014

Feisal, thanks for the interesting article.

The *Qur'an* verse that serves as a source on divine illumination is lovely:

*The Qur’an* 24.35: "God is the Light of the heavens and the earth. The
parable of His light is, as it were, that of a niche containing a lamp; the
lamp is enclosed in glass, the glass shining like a radiant star: a lamp
lit from a blessed tree - an olive-tree that is neither of the east nor of
the west - the oil whereof is so bright that it would well-nigh give light
of itself even though fire had not touched it: light upon light!"

If I understand your article well, you intend to show that Milton, despite
his disdain for Islam, may have been working within the tradition of
Al-Farabi and the Qur'anic verse, either consciously or unconsciously, in
composing his invocation to light in *Paradise Lost* 3.1-6:

Hail holy light, ofspring of Heav'n first-born,
Or of th' Eternal Coeternal beam
May I express thee unblam'd? since *God is light*,
And never but* in unapproached light*
*Dwelt from Eternitie*, dwelt then in thee,
Bright effluence of bright essence increate. (Milton Reading Room,
Dartmouth)

But you also cite Psalm 36:9:

“For with thee is the fountain of life: in thy light shall we see light.”

I suggest two more verses that also correspond to Milton's invocation:

1 John 1:5 "This then is the message which we have heard of him, and
declare unto you, that *God is light*, and in him is no darkness at all."

1 Timothy 6:16: "Who only hath immortality, *dwelling in the light which no
man can approach* unto; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be
honour and power everlasting. Amen."

Some of the wording corresponds rather closely and might be of interest to
you. Of course, these are merely verses and must be interpreted to fit into
a tradition by which Milton would call upon God for enlightenment.

Thanks again for an interesting article.

Jeffery Hodges