[Milton-L] Fwd: Dear Jeffery, you can now tell the Milton List guys!

Horace Jeffery Hodges horacejeffery at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 14:44:46 EST 2014

Dear Milton-Listers,

Terrance Lindall asked me to forward this announcement.

He also included an image of the portrait within the email, which I can
send to this list if such is not against protocol.

Jeffery Hodges

Yuko Nii Foundation acquires 17th C. portrait of John Milton
UnknownMiniature Water Color Portrait of John Milton, Poet & Defender of
Freedom, 17th Century or Later

This pleasant looking miniature painting on ivory of a curly reddish brown
haired man is similar to an original portrait of John Milton now in the
possession of the Morgan Library. This is one of the handsomest paintings
of Milton I have ever seen. It shows him at the time of the full flower of
his poetic genius. We will display it with several other Milton portraits
in our collection in December to celebrate Milton's birthday and the
opening of our Edwardian reading room in our national landmark building
along with three 17th century copies of Paradise Lost. Terrance Lindall

The following is copied from the Morgan description of their portrait:

"This portrait of a middle-aged man, costumed in a black buttoned vest,
black gown, square white collar tied with strings and having two tassels
below, is believed to depict John Milton at forty-eight years of age.
According to John Aubrey, an early biographer of Milton, the poet's long
hair was "abroun" or "reddish," and his "complexion exceeding fayre." This
miniature may have been given by Milton to his second wife, Katherine
Woodcock, whom he married in November 1656. She gave birth to a daughter in
October 1657, but both mother and child died the following year. Woodcock
is commemorated in Sonnet 23 as "my late espousèd saint." The miniature was
bequeathed to Woodcock's niece and was handed down in direct succession
through the Woodcock family."