[Milton-L] Related to the color of the serpent

Nancy Charlton charltonwordorder1 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 11:41:22 EST 2014

I opened Poetry Daily just now and found this:

http://poems.com/poem.php?date=16378

                  "... and see as Eve's snake
must have seen: chromatically,..."
                          --David Roderick

Not just black and white, red and green, but chromatically. I'm not
sure, but I think that chromatic seeing is considered very high on the
evolutionary scale, far beyond merely paired opposites. The same would
probably apply to sound and the ability to hear--and speak and
sing--in very complicated keys and modes. I'm not sure Satan does this
even though he probably can, and it may be beyond Adam's but not
necessarily Eve's capability. But this idea does open up yet one more
mode of reading PL.

Nancy Charlton