[Milton-L] Serpents and their coloring

Horace Jeffery Hodges horacejeffery at gmail.com
Sat Nov 1 20:43:07 EDT 2014

I found some sources on "serpentine" as a color:

http://goo.gl/pVF9uZ

According to the *Encyclopaedia Londinensis, or, Universal dictionary of
arts, sciences, and literature* (1817), compiled by John Wilkes,
"serpentine green" - and also "serpentine black" - is the color of an
amygdalite "with a calcareaous base. 7. Amygdalites ophites : consisting of
marble and serpentine. Found in Sweden, Italy, and the south of Africa.
Generally white, the serpentine green or black" (page 470, column 1).

And here's some information on "serpentine color":

http://www.gemselect.com/gem-info/serpentine/serpentine-info.php

Serpentine Gemstone Information

About Serpentine - History and Introduction

Serpentine is a gem-quality hydrated magnesium silicate, usually green,
yellowish-green, or brownish-green in color. Its name is thought to be
derived from its serpent-like green colors. Serpentine is not just a
gemstone, but rather, it is a group of minerals which includes up to 20
different related members. Although there are a variety of serpentines,
there are only two basic aggregate structures of serpentine which include
antigorite and chrysotile . . .

Jeffery Hodges