[Milton-L] The Closure of the Institute of English Studies

Leonie Viljoen viljol at telkomsa.net
Wed May 21 05:35:41 EDT 2014

From: Woudhuysen, Prof H [mailto:henry.woudhuysen at lincoln.ox.ac.uk]
Sent: 20 May 2014 21:18
To: henry.woudhuysen at lincoln.ox.ac.uk
Cc: Varty, A; leb at le.ac.uk
Subject: Closure of the Institute of English Studies

Dear All

You may have heard about the proposed closure of the Institute of English
Studies which is part of the School of Advanced Study at the University of
London. A Steering Group to oppose this has been set up, co-chaired by
Professor Anne Varty (Head of the Department  of English at Royal Holloway
University of London) and Professor Gordon Campbell, DLitt, FBA (Professor
of Renaissance Studies at Leicester University). The Steering Group (of
which I am a member) has set up a website at
http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/professor-sir-adrian-smith-abandon-the
-recommendation-to-break-up-the-institute-of-english-studies-2 in the form
of a petition calling for this decision to be stopped. We very much hope
that you will be able to give us your support by signing the petition, by
writing to the Vice-Chancellor and by passing this message on to interested
parties.

Yours faithfully

Henry Woudhuysen

On behalf of the Save the IES Steering Group

Co-Chairs:

Professor Anne Varty (Head of the Department of English Royal Holloway
University of London)

Professor Gordon Campbell DLitt, FBA (Professor of Renaissance Studies,
University of Leicester)