[Milton-L] Christopher Rouse "Requiem"

Ms Ann Paterson ann.paterson at uqconnect.edu.au
Tue May 6 12:52:31 EDT 2014

Yes it's Sonnet 23.

http://www.christopherrouse.com/requiempress.html

Ann Paterson

________________________________
From: milton-l-bounces at lists.richmond.edu <milton-l-bounces at lists.richmond.edu> on behalf of Nancy Charlton <charltonwordorder1 at gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, 7 May 2014 1:10 AM
To: John Milton Discussion List
Subject: [Milton-L] Christopher Rouse "Requiem"

Today's NYTimes has a review of this performance:
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/05/07/arts/music/a-celebration-of-orchestral-excellence-at-spring-for-music.html

It was the opener for the Spring for Music series at Carnegie Hall. Reviewer Corinna da Fonseca Wollheim comments:

"Rouse also weaves in poems by Seamus Heaney, Siegfried Sassoon, Michelangelo, Ben Jonson and John Milton that depict death through the eyes of those left behind: a sibling, a son, a fellow soldier, a lover. Given over to the soloist - here the beautifully poised South African baritone Jacques Imbrailo - these texts function like the lone figures in old paintings of biblical crowd scenes that stare out at the viewer as if to say: "This is about you."

She singles out only one individual poem,however: Jonson's "Farewell, thou child of my right hand." Without having heard it, I can't think which Milton poem, one that would follow in the series listed above. "Methought I saw my late espoused saint" perhaps. Nobody dies in PL.

Nancy Charlton

Sent from my iPhone