[Milton-L] John Hales four-fold visage fours

John K Leonard jleonard at uwo.ca
Sat May 17 13:19:25 EDT 2014

On 05/16/14, John Hale  <john.hale at otago.ac.nz> wrote:

> 	The first four "people" were subjects of Milton's allusions there: Galileo, Moses, Homer, and Charlemagne. the next four people had to do with the poem's publication: Ellwood, Simmons, L'Estrange, and Marvell. The third foursome comprised Bentley, Masson, Darbishire, and Empson.

What a wonderful idea! I shall shamelessly steal it for my next Graduate class. You now have me wondering which "four"s I might use. I can easily see how Galileo, Homer, Moses, Marvell, Bentley, and Empson would work. But how did you use Charlemagne and Darbishire? The best I can come up with is Charlemagne insisting he did not fall at Fontarabbia and Darbishire insisting she was right about emphatic double 'e's (all too likely to produce multiple zzzzzs). But it's a great idea. Some candidates I might use: Dryden (defending his stage adaptation); C. S. Lewis (replying to the New Milton Critics); Alexander Pope (on epic and mock epic); Marjorie Hope Nicolson (on telescopes and space); Lucretius (on the void); Nick Cave (on Milton and popular culture). I'd be curious to hear other people's choices.

John Leonard