[Milton-L] Christopher Rouse "Requiem"

Uzakova, Oydin Yashinova oydin.uzakova at okstate.edu
Tue May 6 14:13:29 EDT 2014

In the spirit of this review, I was particularly reminded of the following lines from Lycidas (38-63), when the poem's speaker fluctuates between the emotions of mourning, anger, and "justification"/self-consolation (through the Orpheus myth):

But O the heavy change, now thou art gon,
Now thou art gon, and never must return!
Thee Shepherd, thee the Woods, and desert Caves,
With wilde Thyme and the gadding<notes.shtml#gadding> Vine o'regrown, [ 40 ]
And all their echoes mourn.
The Willows, and the Hazle Copses green,
Shall now no more be seen,
Fanning their joyous Leaves to thy soft layes.
As killing as the Canker<notes.shtml#Canker> to the Rose, [ 45 ]
Or Taint-worm<notes.shtml#taint> to the weanling<notes.shtml#wean> Herds that graze,
Or Frost to Flowers, that their gay wardrop<notes.shtml#wardrop> wear,
When first the White thorn blows<notes.shtml#blows>;
Such, Lycidas, thy loss to Shepherds ear.

Where were ye Nymphs when the remorseless deep [ 50 ]
Clos'd o're the head of your lov'd Lycidas?
For neither were ye playing on the steep,
Where your old Bards<notes.shtml#bards>, the famous Druids ly,
Nor on the shaggy top of Mona<notes.shtml#geography> high,
Nor yet where Deva<notes.shtml#deva> spreads her wisard stream: [ 55 ]

Ay me, I fondly<notes.shtml#fondly> dream!
Had ye bin there — for what could that have don?
What could the Muse her self that Orpheus bore,
The Muse her self, for her inchanting son
Whom Universal nature did lament, [ 60 ]
When by the rout that made the hideous roar,
His goary visage down the stream was sent,
Down the swift Hebrus to the Lesbian shore<notes.shtml#orpheus>.

One can recite just lines 38-55 if wishing to end on a note of "uncomprehending grief and fury," before "glimpses of hope" offered by other poems in the series appear.