[Milton-L] Christopher Rouse "Requiem"

Terry Ross tross at ubalt.edu
Tue May 6 14:09:17 EDT 2014

>From Rouse's program note for his Requiem:

The work begins with the soloist singing alone the lines of Seamus Heaney's "Mid-Term Break," in which a boy leaves school to attend the funeral of his younger brother, struck by a car. Before the "Tuba Mirum" come lines from Siegfried Sassoon's "Suicide in the Trenches," in which the poet describes the self-destruction of a shell-shocked comrade. The "Rex Tremendae" is succeeded by excerpts from Michelangelo's ode on the death of his father, and the "Sanctus" is preceded by Ben Jonson's "On My First Son," a heartbreaking contemplation of the death of his child. Before the "Agnus Dei" comes John Milton's Sonnet 23, in which he dreams that his dead wife has returned to him. Finally, Michelangelo's "On Immortality" (set, like the earlier Michelangelo poem, in the original Italian), sung near the very end of the score, speaks of the "Everyman" figure's own death.

http://www.christopherrouse.com/requiempress.html

Terry
Terry Ross                                                  tross at ubalt.edu
Program Manager for e-Learning          (410) 837-5078         BC 002C