[Milton-L] Moloch et al

Stallard, Matthew stallard at ohio.edu
Tue Jan 28 22:23:39 EST 2014

I "think" that Diodorus Siculus connects Cronos with Moloch. I don't have _Diodorus of Sicily_ within reach.

Child sacrifice was a feature of the worship of the Ammonite god Molech mentioned in the OT who is quite possibly the same as the Carthaginian Moloch. See for example Leviticus 18:21. The Bishops Bible and the Douay-Rheims use the spelling "Moloch." In the Masoretic text the name is "Molech" but the Septuagint renders it "Moloch."

Matthew Stallard, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of English
Ohio University
Department of English