[Milton-L] Norvegers

srevard at siue.edu srevard at siue.edu
Sun Jan 19 11:38:45 EST 2014

Many thanks, Salwa--and kudos to Professor Engetsu for a most usefully
researched paper showing once more Mlton's ability to bring into his poem
materials from everywhere, including contemporary political events and
struggles. And since on this list Samuel Johnson's complaints and criticisms
have rather often been cited as though they were the most important part of his
assessment of Paradise Lost, I'll quote this bit from Johnson's Life of Milton:
"Here is a full display of the united force of study and genius; of a great
accumulation of materials, with judgment to digest and fancy to combine them:
Milton was able to select from nature or from story, from ancient fable or from
modern science, whatever could illustrate or adorn his thoughts. An accumulation
of knowledge impregnated his mind, fermented by study and exalted by
imagination."  [Quoted from the Norton Anthology of English Literature, Third
Edition, Major Authors Edition, p. 1277).