[Milton-L] Norvegers

Jeffrey Theis jtheis at salemstate.edu
Thu Jan 16 17:12:39 EST 2014

On the Norwegian pine, Hannibal is right on target. In particular, England needed tall, straight timber for ship masts. I don't believe England imported wood from Norway for the other parts of ships, but I'm not definite on that. Pamphlets advertising investments in the New World also played up the tall timber available there. Too much deforestation in mother England, especially lack of old growth timber!

Jeff

Jeffrey S. Theis
Associate Professor
Department of English
Coordinator--Center for Research and Creative Activities
Office: 35 Loring Ave, Rm. 203
Mailing Address:
   Salem State University
   352 Lafayette Street