[Milton-L] Norvegers

Hannibal Hamlin hamlin.hannibal at gmail.com
Thu Jan 16 16:16:35 EST 2014

I seem to recall reading that Britain imported Norwegian pines for
ship-building. And is the tale set in Norwegian waters because of the
legend of the Kraken? The giant sea beasty that is a kind of secular
analogue to Leviathan?

Hannibal

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 3:11 PM, JD Fleming <jfleming at sfu.ca> wrote:

> Dear all--here is a simple question that, perhaps, has been answered more
> than once. But those answers lie buried in dusty books; so in the spirit of
> our students, I would like to ask you, who know, directly:
>
> Why 2 references to Norway in PL 1 (203 and 293)? Why are both the foam
> and the pine Norwegian? Why Norway?
>
> Having two grandparents from Bergen, I ask. JD Fleming
>
> --
> James Dougal Fleming
> Associate Professor
> Department of English
> Simon Fraser University
> 778-782-4713
>
> "Upstairs was a room for travelers. ‘You know, I shall take it for the
> rest of my life,’ Vasili Ivanovich is reported to have said as soon as he
> had entered it."
> -- Vladimir Nabokov, *Cloud, Castle, Lake*

Hannibal Hamlin
Associate Professor of English
Author of *The Bible in Shakespeare*, now available through all good
bookshops, or direct from Oxford University Press at
http://ukcatalogue.oup.com/product/9780199677610.do
Editor, *Reformation*
The Ohio State University
164 West 17th Ave., 421 Denney Hall