[Milton-L] A Twist on the Eve Motif?

srevard at siue.edu srevard at siue.edu
Sat Jan 11 17:51:41 EST 2014

Salwa and Jeffrey,

Good work--and good luck with publishing it. I did not see the illustration to
which the List commentators are referring, so can't offer any comments.
Arlene's comment seems directed to the larger question of what the Genesis
"fruit of the Tree of Knowledge" was taken to be--about which I am not learned
enough to comment.

Salwa, I know you have done much with C. S. Lewis, and assume that in doing so
you would have looked sideways at Tolkien also.  Have you run across Tom
Shippey's 2002 or so study of Tolkien?  There are some interesting references
to Milton in relation to Tolkien's work.  I used to talk with Shippey when he
taught at St. Louis U.  He has interesting commentary on his having followed in
Tolkien's philological footsteps from Birmingham to Leeds to Oxford, and he is
extremely well informed in many of the fields Tolkien made use of.

Best,

Carter

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152076101393405&set=gm.614995805202891&type=1&theater