[Milton-L] A Twist on the Eve Motif?

Hannibal Hamlin hamlin.hannibal at gmail.com
Sat Jan 11 11:38:28 EST 2014

Peaches always seem right to me. Apples have settled in as the traditional
interpretation, but as many of you likely know there were other candidates
among early exegetes, including grapes. There's something cheeky about a
peach, though, with that little cleft and all that fuzziness. The taste is
also something to die for.

Hannibal

On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 5:38 PM, Horace Jeffery Hodges <
horacejeffery at gmail.com> wrote:

> The fruit does look odd, but I checked and made sure that they are peaches.
>
> Jeffery Hodges
>
> Ewha Womans University
> Seoul, South Korea
>

> Novella: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E18KW0K (*The Bottomless Bottle of
> Beer*)
>

> Facebook:
> https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Bottomless-Bottle-of-Beer/204064649770035
>  (*The Bottomless Bottle of Beer*)
>
> Blog: http://gypsyscholarship.blogspot.com/ (*Gypsy Scholar*)
>

> Doctoral Thesis: "Food as Synecdoche in the Gospel of John and Gnostic
> Texts"
>

> Ph.D., History, U.C. Berkeley
>

> Home Address:

> Gunyoung Apt. 102-204
> Sangbong-dong 1
> Jungnang-gu
> Seoul 131-771
> South Korea
>

> On Sat, Jan 11, 2014 at 7:33 AM, Carol Barton, Ph.D., CPCM <
> cbartonphd1 at verizon.net> wrote:
>
>>  I'm not so sure those are peaches, either--they look more like little
>> pumpkins (which, granted, don't grow on trees)--but then, violins wouldn't
>> have been lying in the grass, either--not even broken ones. And Eve
>> wouldn't have looked so common before she bit into the Fruit.
>>
>> All in all, pretty bizarre.

Hannibal Hamlin
Associate Professor of English
Author of *The Bible in Shakespeare*, now available through all good
bookshops, or direct from Oxford University Press at
http://ukcatalogue.oup.com/product/9780199677610.do
Editor, *Reformation*
The Ohio State University
164 West 17th Ave., 421 Denney Hall