[Milton-L] Milton & Public Intellectuals

Hugh M. RICHMOND hmr at berkeley.edu
Wed Feb 19 20:16:24 EST 2014

The reference to Milton's Of Education reminds me that it resonated so
strongly many years ago that, in transposing Comus to make the masque
relevant to a modern audience (as required by the genre), we made it a
graduation occasion, with the speech in your reference as the climax, seen
on Youtube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8WSM8jyZ6k It also appears as
the third Comus clip among the videos on our Milton site at http:/
miltonrevealed.berkeley.edu. The insertion was received with cheers as
early as 1994, with Theory triumphant, so the issue is not just
contemporary! With best wishes, Hugh Richmond